ACT NOW to save MetroEast and America's community mediaUPDATE: Legislation threatening community media has been halted thanks to the protest of thousands nationwide. But the fight is not over. Click here for information recent actions from the Federal Communications Commission.
IF YOU USE A TV, THE INTERNET OR A PHONE, THIS COULD AFFECT YOU!
We live in a nation where all are entitled to free speech. Americans value this right so much that we have hundreds of community media centers across our 50 states.
MetroEast Community Media in Gresham is one of those centers that helps everyday people make their own TV programs. Through MetroEast’s media workshops, equipment, and studios, you get programs like “El Programa Latino,” “Community Hotline,” and “Rose City News,” which bring the unique voices of East Metro to a wide audience.
CONGRESS IS REVIEWING A DEAL WITH GIANT TELE-COMM COMPANIES TO:
* Slash community TV funding
* Limit internet access
* Provide advanced cable services to only our wealthiest neighborhoods
* Create “one-size-fits-all” policies for community media in 50 states
The legislation is supposed to increase competition, but would really just give big telephone companies like Verizon, Qwest and AT&T unfair advantages. The new law would allow them to “cherry pick” a community’s wealthiest neighborhoods and to dodge providing public benefits.
HOW WOULD THIS AFFECT ME?
* MetroEast would lose 2/3 of its budget!
* Many community media centers would have to close, and you would lose your neighborhood’s political, cultural, spiritual and entertainment TV shows.
* Your ability to read and post information on the internet would be limited.
* Our schools and city offices would have to pay more for internet use, sending costs back to you, the taxpayer.
* Your local channels would be controlled by big businesses and the federal government.
* You would get less consumer protection. Your local government would have a harder time protecting your interests, not to mention your pocketbook and privacy.
ACT NOW and contact your Congress members. Tell them to STAND UP FOR LOCAL CONSUMERS, LOCAL CONTROL, AND COMMUNITY MEDIA, and say NO TO HR5252!
You can write or call Congress members through MetroEast Community Media. Stop by to fax a letter or make a phone call to Congress. You can also e-mail your letter to email@example.com, and we will fax it to your Congress members immediately. A sample letter and contact information for local Representatives are posted on this site.
|Address:||829 N.E. 8th Street|
Gresham, OR 97030